Monday 5 June 2017

Wood you believe it? A rare Surrey twitch.

After finishing my shift on the Surrey Bird Club Woking Peregrine Project stand on Saturday afternoon I couldn't resist popping over to the Ash Ranges to catch up with the singing male Wood Warbler found by John Clark that morning.

Aside from a silent bird I stumbled across on a wooded coastal hillside in Sardinia last month my last singing male Wood Warbler was at Tice's Meadow in April 2013. I generally don't go out of my way much for birds unless they're lifers but knowing it could be at least another four years before I caught up with another local one, the appeal of this bird pretty much on my way home was just too tempting.
 
Thanks to John's very specific grid reference I had no problem connecting with the bird on arrival, especially as I could hear it singing from c.100m away! I was then treated to close views for the best part of an hour, with nobody else around for the whole time I was there, the bird calling and singing almost constantly throughout. Let's hope his effort is worth it and he sticks around and finds a female!

2 comments:

  1. Are they truly gone from Devil's Punchbowl nowadays? That used to be the best Surrey spot that I knew of way back in the day. Sad loss if so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I'm aware they've not been there for at least the past couple of years but I may be wrong. Certainly massively declined right across the southeast now.

      Delete